Blank Operator - send results to nil

Hi everyone,

This is a pedantic question, but i think improves readability of code. Solidity don’t have a blank operator, resulting in function calls with multi returns in something like:

(, , , , uint256 returnValue) = function();

Proposed change

Use the same blank operator as other languages (like Go)

( _, _, _, _, uint256 returnValue) = function();

I don’t think the _ operator is used in the current solidity implementation.

What do you think about this style?

(/* value1 */, /* value2 */, /* value3 */, /* value4 */, uint256 returnValue) = function();

I personally never use the _ variable even in languages that offer it because it hides the name of the things that get returned (I prefer to know what I’m ignoring).

I don’t think the _ operator is used in the current solidity implementation.

It is. It’s used to represent the place in a modifier where function body will be inserted. This change would make them a bit more tricky (and less readable IMO):

contract C {
    modifier m {
        _ = foo();
        (_, _) = bar();
        _;
    }
}
1 Like

Is I forgot about the modifiers…

I focus on the underscore just because Golang. Could be another character.

contract C {
    modifier m {
        _ = foo(); // only use the blank operator in attribution. This case should be syntactical corrected but should not be used.
        (_, _) = bar();  // the same
        _;
    }
}

please take a look:

playground

Yeah, something else might work. What would you propose?

By the way, one language where I wished I had this is C++. Currently destructuring expressions like for (auto const& [a, b]: someMap) don’t let you skip any of the components. Fortunately ranges-v3 solves this problem for map by introducing keys and values views, and the library is going to be a part of the stdlib in C++20.

I think that the main benefit of _ in other languages is that it’s the only way to skip a particular component of a tuple. In Solidity you can do that already so adding _ would just be a cosmetic change. But anyway, I’d be very interested to hear how others feel about this. Getting some real feedback is always good.

I like the idea of using the _ is very intuitive. But the question of modifiers is very pertinent.

Personal opinion I don’t like the idea of decorator of functions “as is” of today. When reading code we end up always going up and down. I can be wrong but is more about a question of sugar that in the end is not particular useful in the context of writing smart contracts (small, concise and understandable). Using _ in modifier to simbolize the execution of the function is something is strange.

@cameel what do you think about this:

modifier: to signal the continuation of execution use the keyword : continue/break; (like loops).
reassign the _ to nil as discussed previous.

Cheers

I’m not sure I understand how it would work. You mean that

modifier m {
    continue;
}

would be equivalent to what is now this

modifier m {
    _;
}

?

What would this code mean then?

modifier m {