Translations: Korean language - Please let me in!

Anyone who can let me in for translations?

Please reach me out via apensia914@gmail.com

Hi @Apensia,

What exactly do you mean by “let me in”?

To start a new language, please follow the instructions outlined in the Translation Guide.

@franzihei

I thought I just misunderstood that I needed to be nominated by moderators(contributors) to participate in translation after reading this, but then just realized it was only for starting new language that has NOT even been started.

If what I got is correct, then I can see some Korean contributors for Korean languages forum already and thus I will follow their guidelines.

Yes, there is a translation of the docs in Korean available here. Unfortunately, it seems rather incomplete and people seemed to have stopped working on it in 2019.

I think it would be great if we could revive these efforts and update the docs.

If you are interested in doing so, I’d recommend to look for at least one additional translator and move the docs over to the solidity-docs GitHub organisation, where, once translated to a certain point, the docs can be integrated into the official Solidity docs (in the language selection menu).

It might make sense to reach out to benjioh5 (Benjamin Hyo-keun Oh) · GitHub and see if he is still interested. :slight_smile:

@franzihei

I don’t think he has been activate for a long time too. I guess I might want to contribute on my own till I can do my best.

By the way, I am sorry but I did not know there was solidity-docs Github organization. Am I just going to be doing translation in Korean github repo first and let solidity-docs Github Organization know? Who is PIC(Person In Charge)?

I am one of the admins of the solidity-docs org. :slight_smile:

If you continue on the Korean GitHub repo please make sure that the owners are active and do merge your PRs (or do you have those rights in that organization)?

In the solidity-docs org we are currently working on a translation PR bot, which should in future make it easier to keep translations up to date and in line with changes and versioning of the English version. That’s why I would suggest you to move the repo there, but I am fine with either solution of course!

@franzihei

At this point, all of the moderators and owners for Korean solidity translation GitHub repo seem to be no long longer activate, and thus there is no way for them to accept my PR request. I am looking for another contributor who are interested in this, but I guess this would be my solo challenge but I am into it for sure.

1. But when you are saying "move the docs over to the solidity-docs", does this mean that transferring the Korean language repo to the solidity-docs GitHub organization? If so, I am afraid that as I am not an owner, I don’t have any authorization. Therefore, I don’t expect anyone in that organization will accept any types of requests.
  2. Also, Korean documentation menu on left-hand side layout looks quite different from the original English documentation, and it’s quite unorganized so it’s hard to trace which part was done and which part was not done. Am I just going to ignore the layout of the menus and translate documents that are not have been translated yet?

Sorry for keep bothering you with too many stupid questions. I am totally new to contributing to open source like this.

Yes, it seems like all of them are inactive, you are correct. :frowning:

I think the biggest issue is that the translation is both out of date and incomplete, hence there is no easy way to “update” the current state of the translation.

In order to be in line with the official docs and to be able to switch between languages inside the documentation eventually the structure should be the same like in the English version of the docs. I’ve outlined a translation checklist here as part of the maintainer guide.

Since even the documents that are already translated in the Korean docs are quite outdated, I feel like it will be easier starting from scratch than trying to update them.

I would recommend you to just create a new repo in the solidity-docs (I can help you with that), forking the current state of the English docs and then start translations from there. You can still use the Korean docs as help if needed, but I am assuming that a combination of using machine translations and adjusting those by hand might be easier.

Maybe, once you’ve created the new repo, it will get more visibility and others might join and support you with translations. :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think!

@franzihei

Within the solidity-docs of Solidity Documentation Translations, I can see some of the languages repo that already been opened (e.g. German, French, etc…) So the new repo that will be created could be exactly pretty much same as one of them right?

If so, could you help me out creating a new repo for me please?

1 Like

Sure, to start a new repo, please create a PR in the langs folder, as described here. Then I can merge the PR and create the repo for you. Thank you!

@franzihei

I created the PR. Hope I did PR in correct way. Let me know if I did anything wrong.

Also, I am still looking for another maintainer so once I found one, I will let you know right away.

1 Like

Great, yes please do look for a maintainer that can help you (especially for reviewing etc.). I added the repository already so you can get started nonetheless. :slight_smile: solidity-docs/ko-korean · GitHub

@franzihei

Great. I accepted your invitation. Thank you. I will keep working on your new ko-korean repo!

1 Like