I’d like to get some feedback about specific compiler warnings that people often ignore (or would like to ignore) and reasons behind it.
- Do you have some specific examples of such warnings produced by the latest compiler version? (preferably with code snippets)
- Why don’t you just fix the warnings?
- Are they in the code you don’t have control over?
- Are they just false-positives? Maybe just a compiler bug?
- Do you simply disagree with them?
- Any other reasons?
I hope this will let us address the most problematic cases. It will also give us some input to consider whether we actually need a feature that allows disabling specific warnings. Such a feature might be convenient in individual cases but if it’s really just a half-measure to hide the symptoms and we’d rather address the cause of such problems.